Subject: [Leica] New: Leicaflex SL and Leica R lens page
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun Jan 30 21:18:55 2005

on 1/30/05 6:51 PM, Karen Nakamura at mail@gpsy.com wrote:

> While in Minnesota, I came across a man who was selling his ex-wife's
> Leicaflex SL kit out of the divorce. I asked multiple times to make
> sure this was kosher, but apparently he gained possession although he
> didn't particularly want them. In any case, I picked up a Leicaflex
> SL kit for about half of what it was worth on the open market (even
> given ebay-driven depreciation).  I've updated my classic camera site
> with information on the two:
>
> http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/Leicaflex.html
> http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/Lens-R.html
>
> Suggestions and fixes are more than welcome.
>
> Karen Nakamura
> http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/
> http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/

Karen, I like your ebay warning note!  Do you mind if I copy it?  (see, I'm
asking for permission).

I'd like to offer a few corrections and additional info:

1) the original Leicaflex's meter reads a field of view comparable to a 90mm
lens.

2) the SL doesn't have a matte focussing screen.  The area that looks like a
matte screen is actually extremely fine microprisms.  I find this screen
very easy to focus anywhere in the picture area but under some conditions -
specular highlights for example - out-of-focus rendition will show some
microprism effects.

3) not only should ROM lenses not be used on the Leicaflexes, they can't be
used because they have an R-only bayonet flange.  They'll fit on an R3 or
later camera but not on any Leicaflex.  This is to prevent the first cam
follower found on the Leicaflex and SL2 from damaging the ROM contacts.  The
SL doesn't have a 'first' cam follower so in theory ROM lenses could be used
on the SL but there was no way Leica could design the mount to fit the SL
without allowing the lens to be mounted on a Leicaflex or SL2.  Leica opted
to prevent damage rather than allowing SL usage.

4) under the CLA discussion, the oldest Leicaflexes are 41 years old, not
nearing 50 years old.

5) under technical details,  the R3 was also made by Ernst Leitz GMBH
Wetzlar Germany, not Leica Camera, and most R3 production was in Portugal.

6) Date of Manufacture: Leicaflex 1964 to 1967 or 1968; Leicaflex SL from
1968 to 1974; Leicaflex SL2 from 1974 to 1976; Leica R3 from 1976 to 1980.

7) Leicaflex (including SL and SL2) shutter speeds are continuously-variable
except between 1/4 and 1/8 and between 1/30 and 1/60.

8) Leicaflex also has battery check.  Type 1 Leicaflex does not have battery
on/off switch.  The original Leicaflex both Type 1 and Type 2 have a true
mirror lock-up as well as mirror pre-release.

9) I have a reprint of Norman Goldberg's lab report of the R3.  According to
this lab report, the R3's dimensikons and weight are 144.5mm long, 96.3mm
high, depth 100.7mm, weight 770 grams.  Mfgr's suggested retail price for
the body was US$996.

10) for the 35mm Elmarit-R, the first version uses Series VI filters, second
version uses Series VII filters.  My first-veresion lens has 6 aperture
blades.

11) AFAIK, there are only two versions of the 50mm Summicron-R.  The second
version uses E55 filters and was originally made in Canada.  Idon't know
where the current production is.

12) 90mm Summcron-R aperture range should be f/2 to f/16, minimum focus
distance should be 0.7m.  My first-version lens has 8 aperture blades.

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] New: Leicaflex SL and Leica R lens page)