Subject: [Leica] PAW 6, Vuescan?
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Feb 7 14:32:56 2005

PAWs:

O.K. all of you Vuescan users -

I'm trying to learn how to scan black and white with Vuescan.  Since I
can't use Digital ICE with B&W, I'm looking for some way to cut down on the
spotting when I scan all of these old black and white negatives and that's
why I downloaded Vuescan.  So far, I'm not too impressed, but maybe I'm
overlooking something obvious.  When I crank the infrared cleaning up to
high, the image gets too soft.  When it's on medium or light, I still have
to spend a long time spotting out dust and scratches.  These first two were
on medium, but I did a lot of spotting.  Am I overlooking something obvious
or expecting too much?  These are old negatives and I've cleaned them as
much as I can without scratching them more.

Other than that, these are all photos I'm scanning for stock.  What do you
think?  The second alternate is another old Kodachrome.

Week 6: http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/39515879
Alternate 1: http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/39515884
Alternate 2: http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/39515900

Thanks for looking.