Subject: [Leica] PAW 5 dlridings
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Feb 8 00:00:17 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, John Mason wrote:

> > You _can_ sing the blues in Swedish and it works
> well
>
> I'll take your word for it and dearly hope to hear it
> someday.

In the south of Sweden there is a dialect/speech impediment that works
very well.

Back in the 70's there was a guy, Peps, who was really into blues. At that
time all music was done in English. He pioneered the blues in Swedish
(with Swedish themes as well). He's still around, I think. Never could
understand his Swedish, but they tell me it is (hope there aren't any
Sk?ningar on the list).

> I know from personal experience that Afrikaans doesn't
> work:  Elke dag, elke dag het ek die bloue...
>
> Makes me shudder just to remember that evening.

I would think that if Afrikaans would keep to topics of relevance
("localize" the blues) that it would work well. You can't translate the
blues, you have to be there :-)

This little kid is on his way:

http://www.dlridings.com/jam/050205/pages/05v05-0001.html

He really got off on the sax.