Subject: [Leica] Subway Photos
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Thu Feb 10 10:48:59 2005

Not mine, Walker Evans's.  "Many Are Called," had been re-released. I
don't know how long its been out, but I only found a copy yesterday.
It's the first good look I've had at these hidden-camera shots taken
on the New York Subways in the 1930's and they are wonderful.

Even more interesting is the contrast between Evans's photos and
those of Peter Peter (no typo in the name, BTW) in "The Subway Book"
taken in 2001-2002.  Same subject matter, same technique, though
Peter used a hidden 3-MP digital camera for his work.  I found this
book on the same shelf as Evans's.  (I don't know how available this
book is outside the States, but I suppose Amazon might list it.)

Things have certainly changed since the 1930's, though the blank
subway-stare that any regular rider knows well - and automatically
adopts, is still very much in evidence.

On topic, I suppose, only in the sense that both deal with Leica-like
street photography.
--
Regards,

Dick