Subject: [Leica] RE: buying advice--gray vs. US
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Thu Feb 10 19:59:20 2005

Whether it's worth it to pay extra for a USA warranty from Leica or to save
money and buy gray market depends on what degree of uncertainty you are
willing to experience.

While in Germany two years ago, I dropped my M6 with my 28 summicron on it.
Both camera and lens needed repair. The camera was beyond its warranty, the
lens was not. I was glad I had a warranty, but I'm not sure the repairs
would have cost as much as I paid extra to purchase the lens with a warranty.

Had I really smashed the lens up something terrible, there would be no
question that the warranty was worth it.

Doug Nygren