Subject: [Leica] Danger - Grandkid Pics
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Feb 11 14:52:18 2005

Barry Hinderks showed & asked: ;-)

>>> Yes, I am putting them up for criticism so fire away. I've got a thick
>>> hide.<<<<

OK! ;-)  get ready. ;-)

Hi Barry,
I like them both!  Particularly the 2nd as it's soft light and kind of dream
like as some kids should be shown.

So often we see "Look at grandpa and smile!" kind of pictures, flash in the
face. "It's the same as grandpa or grandma have taken every time since the
child escaped from the womb.  (this by the way has nothing to do with the
first picture I'll get to it.) :-)

But 2 is a comfortable gentle child picture due to soft light and her
expression. Quite frankly it's a beauty and could be one of those "post card
pictures" in it's simplicity of light and expression.

No.1! :-)

Hey don't duck! ;-)
It's also very nice and the kind of clean in your face light and look of....
"here I am as a kid!" :-) Nice use of the light.

I'd have tried to get someone to take her attention very slightly to her
right, not much. But only for you to watch the light on her left cheek and
as soon as a small triangle of light was there.... STOP!. It's not bad right
now but that slight turn, maybe you did try and it didn't work. But this
location and light begins to create an opportunity for "shooting from the
shadow side."

It's a clean example of recognizing the light and shooting from a shadow
side, certainly with her head slightly turned. It would've made a major
difference.

But like I say, it's so close as it is, any change might have made her shift
too much and change her eye line too much.
I'd say have a look next time if you use the same location. The use of the
wide aperture is a major asset in keeping distraction away from her face.

Good on you for light use and capture, very solid expressions and not blown
out with big blast flash in the face lighting.

And to those who get antsy about kids pictures? Well if everybody produced
them as good as these, my re-action to whiners about kids pictures would
be.... "Hey screw you, I love my grand kids and these are good pictures of
her!" ;-)
Look and learn! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from bkhinderks at shaw.ca (Barry Hinderks) ([Leica] Danger - Grandkid Pics)