Subject: [Leica] LTM brightline finders (was Can you really JPEG a JPEG?)
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Sun Feb 13 06:12:26 2005

John wrote:

>On 11 Feb 2005, at 14:09, Alex wrote:
>
>>  find the average 3 or 4 keepers per roll, and scan the relevant
>>negs to produce decent prints.
>>
>I've been learning to shoot with my late father-in-law's iiif, and
>badly disappointed to find that there's maybe one or two snaps in a
>roll that I'd want to look at a second time myself, much less show
>you guys.
>Thank you, Alex, for saying that you expect 3 or 4 keeps per roll -
>though nothing I've got so far measures up to your lovely pictures
>of Barcelona.

Thanks for the bouquet John.

One thing you might find useful, which I forgot to comment on on my
website, is the subject of Leitz  (or any other)  brightline finders
for LTM cameras such as the IIIf and IIIa which I regularly use.

The built-in 50mm v/f  in the IIIs isn't the greatest, unlike the
excellent v/f on the Ms.

But I recently acquired a Leitz 50mm brightline v/f , and it's a
revelation to use with a III. Not only does it give you a large and
bright image, but, as it's virtually 1:1, you can shoot with both
eyes open. It certainly is a quantum leap forward in aiding
composition after the LTM 'peephole'.

The frameline also seems pretty accurate, providing, of course, you
use the dotted line for shots under 6 feet.

Highly recommended for LTM, and not too expensive  as it's fairly
common  - unlike the Leitz 85mm finder for the LTM Summarex 85/1.5.
For the moment I'll stick with the 90mm brightline and use the
outside edges of the frame.

Good luck with your 'new' IIIf - it's worth persevering with. It's
like golf - the more you practise, the luckier you get.

Best

Alex

--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019