Subject: [Leica] The ever-popular lens fingerprint/3D thing
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Tue Feb 15 01:36:24 2005

Frank wrote:

>Funny, this, I had attributed the 3D effect to films! I noticed as a
>teenager that Kodachrome films gave a very 3D effect compared to
>Agfachrome. I used an Agfa Silette camera at that time. Cameras were
>spectacularly expensive in the UK at that time and the UK had been
>pretty well bankrupted by WW2 so having top quality camera was not
>an option for a keen schoolboy. A Leica cost about 6 months wages
>then. The Agfa lens was obviously pretty good.

The Silette was a pretty good camera in its day. My first 35mm at the
age of 13 was a German Dacora Dignette - no r/f and a 45/3.5
cell-focusing lens. On the odd occasions when I could afford a roll
of Kodachrome (I think it was then 10ASA), it produced very
acceptable results, and I do remember the 3D effect.

My first Leica was purchased 5 years later - a well-brassed III with
a 50/2 Summar - not a bad lens when you stopped it down a bit.

As they say, nostalgia ain't what it used to be........

Best

Alex
--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] The ever-popular lens fingerprint/3D thing)