Subject: [Leica] Leica-Olympus-Panasonic-Nikon-Canon, yikes!
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Sun Feb 13 18:01:29 2005

>I think the market is in for a shake out. I agree with Don that
>Minolta, Olympus and
>maybe Pentax might not make it. Heck, even Nikon is having it's
>issues and if they screw up
>the 2Dx they are probably out of the pro game for good. It's getting
>pretty crowded out there
>and the market pie is only so big. Again, I just don't see how 4/3
>is going to survive with higher
>MP count and still maintain competitive noise levels. Heck, Kodak
>doesn't seem to be able
>to get their full frame chip working over 400 asa.

I know that the LUG loves opinion and hates fact (does that mean we
are a non-reality based community?), so here is some data to muddle
the pot:

http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/2005/02/news-recent-top-five-camera-sales-in.html

Basically, the top-selling digital camera in Japan is currently the
Minolta alpha-7D (aka Maxxum 7D).    The Olympus is unfortunately not
in the top-five but Pentax is doing surprisingly well. Canon's 20D
is #3. More data  and analysis  on the blog.

Karen

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/

--