Subject: [Leica] OT: Infared or radio
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Wed Feb 16 21:02:07 2005

> For distance work, especially in a photographer rich environment, radio
> is the way to go.

For portrait work in a studio, radio is the way to go.

Despite the ubiquitous IR gizmos (which no one uses) on every phone and
laptop, current IR technology is best used for thawing frozen vegetables,
not controlling mechanized devices.

I was a decade ago the manager of an engineering design group that got 6
patents on infrared devices, and have bought entirely too many IR products
from K&S or B&H in the naive hope that they might work. They are not
reliable. I can explain why to anyone who will let me say it in EE language.

I use only PocketWizard RF products, and wouldn't consider recommending any
other kind. The PocketWizard Plus is simplicity itself--you don't even have
to read the manual--and the PocketWizard MultiMAX could probably launch an
ICBM.

Brian

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] OT: Infared or radio)
Reply from lew at speakeasy.net (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] OT: Infared or radio)