Subject: [Leica] PESO 2005 #1
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Thu Feb 17 23:23:28 2005

Bob Mintzer, the terrific tenor player, is in
Charlottesville to conduct a masterclass and perform
with the University of Virginia Jazz Band.

I spent a couple hours with the band this afternoon,
M2 and D70 in hand.  Film is being processed; photos
will follow.  Meanwhile, here are some of the digi
snaps.

Mintzer turned out to be as fine a teacher as he is a
player:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/BobPonders01>

He and John D'earth, the jazz band's director, have
know each other since the early '70s when they played
in a cheesy dance band at a Borscht Belt resort:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/JohnPlaysClose>

One of the things that I admire most about John is his
ability to turn biology, economics, engineering, and
psychology majors into enthusiastic and accomplished
musicians:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/JohnTeaches01>

When he speaks, the students listen (most of the
time):

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/SaxesListen01>

Making good music is serious business (even though it
should never sound that way).  I'm invariably
impressed by the students' willingness to buckle down:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/BobGuitar01>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/Trombones01>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/BariSax02>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/TromboneTrumpet01>

Of course, nobody would bother with music making if it
weren't a hell of a lot of fun:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/Kait01>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/PhotosEverySoOften/BobPlaysLaughs>

--John