Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW5
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Feb 19 09:29:49 2005

Thanks, Dave -  as I said, I'm not really sure about it myself. ;-) I
feel better about 5a. But as to triangles, 3rds, etc....I will admit to
really not caring about rules, in terms of my own work, as well as that
of my students. The question for me is not whether rules were applied,
but whether the image 'works;' that and whether the frame was fully
used. One of the first questions I ask my students is whether they know
what's the most important part of the frame - and the answer is...every
square inch of it! Funny thing - when Michael Hintlian came to the class
the other night, he asked them the same question...and they all
said..."the whole thing..." :-) He then made the very important point is
that all you have to work is that tiny hunk of 'real estate' that makes
up the 35 mm piece of film, or a sensor - so make damn sure that you use
the whole thing. Not that you have to fill every part of it, but you
better know why you're leaving empty space if you are leaving it.

Speaking of class....I brought an M6 to class, and my E-1, to pass
around the M6 so the kids could get an idea of what a range finder is. I
talked about, among other things, people's belief in the importance of
working with a near silent camera, and said that everyone has this
belief that the M6 is about as quiet as it gets - after a Rollei TLR
;-). I then fired the M6 in the silent class room, and fired off the E-1
DSLR. And the students told me the E-1 made less noise than the M6...:-)