Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica going belly up
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun Feb 20 06:28:52 2005

on 2/19/05 10:28 PM, Summicron1@aol.com at Summicron1@aol.com wrote:

> As to those who worry about advances in optics and so forth, I'll
> put images from my old lenses up against yours any day -- they ALL damn
> good,
> the new ones are just a little bit gooder.

25 years ago fast internal-focus long lenses were very scarce and none were
made for Leica reflexes.  As far as results on film are concerned the f/6.8
Telyts have little to be ashamed of but in light that requires 1/60 sec @
f/2.8 one of the newer lenses like the 280 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8 or a modular
Telyt has distinct advantages.  None of these existed 25 years ago and the
competition's comparable lenses are not equal to the Leica lens'
performance.  Some have gotten very close in just the last few years but the
Leica lenses shine like no others.  There's no telling what optical advances
we'll see in the next few decades but I sure as hell want to put them on my
Leica reflexes.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com