Subject: [Leica] DMR dead end?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Feb 21 06:35:02 2005

BD:  I considered several ideas before I answered...

The existing inventory of DMR backs that are finished or almost finished...
Word from Germany in late December 2004
The financial condition of the company ... desperate.....
The new emergence of a Leica Japan subsidiary... at a time when they are in
financial straits.....and their knowledge of the Japanese's market.
The consumer "drive" to buy perceived Leica Quality
The ease of using existing lenses... no manual aperture stop down
The type of Leica purchaser... well heeled amateur...
The Firmware issue and updates
The hardware repair issues
It is not a dead end in the sense that it is a piece of consumer
electronics, not a piece of mechanical fine engineering.

I will stand by my previous comments.....
The unstated catch?  Do I think it is smart or prudent to buy a DMR?  That
depends on the personal risk assessment of the buyer.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

And after people pay more than 4K for it - or more than what a refurbed
Canon EOS1D mkII autofocus CAMERA now goes for - if Leica soon goes
under, where will the service and future firmware revisions come from?

No.  They have  built a bunch of bodies, and are awaiting some firmware
revisions to release the camera.  It will become available, eventually.
Then the answer to the question .... How well does it take pictures? ..
will be foremost.....

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] DMR dead end?)