Subject: [Leica] Thanks to BD and John Szarkowski
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Mon Feb 21 08:07:27 2005

It absolutely makes sense. In many ways I think we are saying some of
the same things. If he will allow me, I will pick on Ted for a moment.
I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that Ted has "the gift" so
much so that no explanation is required to further that point. I was
lucky enough to get a copy of a detailed sheet Ted wrote up about his
"Women in Medicine" book which described the process, technical and
otherwise. As much as Ted "just shoots" (which I in no way doubt) this
sheet is full of wonderful "rules" like shooting from the shadow side.
Ted also took the time to point out some of the photos in which
certain rules were used.

Now I'm not trying to call Ted a liar for his earlier email which
pushed rules to the background because I am sure that his talent is
enough that if he thinks about shooting from the shadow side one day
while in the shower he will naturally start doing so the next time he
is shooting - consciously or not.

And here is where my experience with music comes in. I have (maybe
had) "the gift" but I cannot tell you the amazing amount of rules I
learned. Were those rules as important as my own ear when performing?
Absolutely not! However, those rules were there to fall back on when
sitting in a tiny practice room trying to figure out what the composer
meant, how to compose one of my own pieces, or how to simply get past
a hard part. The rules help, and I think its important to learn them
but no, they cannot replace the "gift".

Cheers,

Dave

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Thanks to BD and John Szarkowski)