Subject: [Leica] further trouble in the R-D1 paradise...
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Feb 22 07:16:00 2005

Dennis.. I meant no disrespect to you in my comments.

Consumer electronics is considered a replaceable not a repairable situation.
Try to get a TV repaired.  They replace modules, not go in there and find
the bad component.  Ditto your car electronics or you computer.  High end
consumer electronics,, an expensive TV, a computer, others.... is about the
same as a Rice maker with a uP inside.  They are just not designed to be
repaired cheaply.  The module replacement business is very profitable, but
exists only as long as their are modules out there to do the swap.   Techs
are taught only to find replace the module that is bad.

OTOH, a mechanical camera, of almost any vintage, can be repaired using
parts that at worst, are fabricated on the spot.  There are no modules, in
general.  Techs are taught to find the bad component and replace that part.

A whole different philosophy.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Also, I rather doubt that the MTBF is a week on consumer electronics. Much
less
that the MTBF of a Leica, but a week??

Now if you move into quality electronic gear the MTBF can be quite long.

Dennis