Subject: [Leica] Re: Porsche and Leica
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Wed Feb 23 01:27:32 2005

Rick wrote:

>I should be careful about what I wish for.  Porsche was turned
>around by quite radically changing its approach to design and
>manufacturing and through appealing to what they described as the
>'changing demands of it's customers'.  I.e., more comfort and
>convenience, and more performance but not so raw please.

That's precisely the point - surviving in today's competitive markets
is all about the ability to manage change,  and Leica's current
management have proved pretty conclusively that they can't change the
company's products far enough or fast enough to succeed in current
market conditions.

Any takeover of the company would also need an injection of new broom
management who are not so hide-bound by Leica's past traditions, and
can find a relevant market niche for new Leica products.

There's no need for this necessarily to be at the expense of quality,
but there's no escaping that Leica's current production methods are
somewhere back in the 20th century rather than being firmly in the
21st.

FWIW, my personal take on the probabilities of various options are:

Leica soldiering on under Hermes                                20%
Sale to camera competitor/collaborator (Cosina probably)                70%
Sale to another, unrelated company                              40%
LHSA/LUG buy-out                                        5%
Leica being put into liquidation                                20%

I'm sure other people will have radically different views, but I had
to start somewhere... :-)

As many have already pointed out, there are no imperatives for
illustrious brands to survive simply on the basis of their glorious
past. What we need is a company looking 20 years forward, not 50
years back.

Best

Alex

--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019

Replies: Reply from woc2 at earthlink.net (Bill O'Connell) ([Leica] Re: Porsche and Leica)
Reply from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Re: Porsche and Leica)