Subject: [Leica] On topic: 1.4/50 Summilux-M
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Fri Feb 25 16:45:48 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 7:44 AM, John Collier wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply but I have been very busy.
>
> I agree with Feli. I really like the Summilux as it is an ideal
> compromise between the Summicron and the Noctilux. I had tested and
> decided to get last version of the Summilux, my only complaint being
> the collapsing hood as well, when they announced the Asph version.
> Since it was going to replace a Noctilux I decide the extra $$ was not
> too outrageous.

Yep, and I have my Summicron (current) if I really want that super
sharp look.

> I can't say that I miss the Noctilux. F/1.4 is usually enough and the
> lens is only slightly larger and heavier than a Summicron. The ability
> to focus to 0.7m is a definite plus over the Noctilux. The Summilux's
> flare performance is much much better than the Summicron's -- though
> nothing can touch the Noctilux for freedom from flare.

Same here. I enjoyed the Noct while I had it, but really don't miss
it... it was just too big for my taste and
found the images that it produced to sometimes be a little too sterile.
I attribute this to it's almost total lack of flare.
Also, ever since I got the Lux, I can't imagine NOT being able to focus
below 1 meter.

> All in all I am happy with my choice and I think I would have been
> happy with the previous version as well.

Well, if I ever have a bundle of cash drop in my lap, I may get the 35
Lux ASPH. I have more 50's than cameras...

> Perhaps even happier as it would not have been six months away for
> "repair."
> John Collier

You got a lot of shooting to make up!
;-)