Subject: [Leica] opening bell
From: Grduprey at aol.com (Grduprey@aol.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 08:05:43 2005

In a message dated 2/25/2005 8:33:36 AM Central Standard Time,
r.s.taylor@comcast.net writes:
Peter - Gee, not only a former neighbor, but also a fellow ham.
Never worked Christmas Island myself, but certainly knew of it as a
popular field day destination.  I worked mostly 6 and 20.  Haven't
been active in decades.  Never heard the "S-key" story before.  Funny.

>I've had conversations with people on Christmas Island via amateur
>radio.  One of the people I spoke with told me was that the
>missionary who complied the first dictionary of the native language
>broke the "S" key on his typewriter.  So he substituted "ti" for "s."

There are several of us hams on the LUG.  I am active , but also have never
worked Christmas Isl.

Gene