Subject: [Leica] Is that so wrong?
From: tim at KairosPhoto.com (Tim Atherton)
Date: Sat Feb 26 18:26:50 2005

> It's certainly becoming more common to see the PS approach.
> If you look on something like photo.net, the vast majority of shots
> are heavily manipulated. Nothing wrong with that, but to me it's just
> not
> a photograph anymore, but a graphic.
>
> Personally I really dislike the attitude that a lot of shooters take
> these days, of "oh, I'll just fix it later in PS".  Why not just shoot
> it right the first time around? Somehow strikes me as, gasp- cheating.
> It makes a lot of people look like they are far better photographers
> than
> they really are. I feel the same way about a lot of people I know who
> shoot
> with heavily automated cameras and claim to be 'professional'
> photographers,
> when they don't even know how to use a lightmeter, grey card or
> understand
> the relationship between asa, shutter speeds and aperture.
>
> Photography as a craft is not what it used to be.

really? not what it used to be? this was my point about Strand. He had no
problem if need be either adding things to the negative/plate or removing
them using reducer or opaque if it improved the final photograph. People,
signs, manhole covers, etc etc - just fix it in the darkroom (not Photoshop)

The resulting photograph is the truth as he saw it. Photographs rarely if
ever tell the truth. At best they tell a truth.

tim

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Is that so wrong?)