Subject: [Leica] Is that so wrong?
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Sat Feb 26 18:41:21 2005

On Feb 26, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Tim Atherton wrote:

> really? not what it used to be? this was my point about Strand. He had
> no
> problem if need be either adding things to the negative/plate or
> removing
> them using reducer or opaque if it improved the final photograph.
> People,
> signs, manhole covers, etc etc - just fix it in the darkroom (not
> Photoshop)
>
> tim

I think what you are describing is a fairly heavy duty traditional
manipulation of what started
out as a regular photograph. After a certain point, I think even you
will have to acknowledge
that it has evolved into something other than a straight photographic
document of an event or place.

> The resulting photograph is the truth as he saw it. Photographs rarely
> if
> ever tell the truth. At best they tell a truth.

It may be the scene as he saw as an artist, in his minds eye, but if
you start removing
objects etc. it is no longer a record of that location/time/event. It
becomes something idealized,
an interpretation, not a straight forward recording.

Think of it as the difference between a reporter and columnist. One
gives the facts, the other the facts and his personal opinion of them.

Paul Strand
  American, 1890-1976

  Paul Strand (born in New York City) was an influential advocate of the
straight approach in creative photography. While a student at the
Ethical Culture School in New York, Strand studied photography with
Lewis Hine (1907-8). In 1908 he joined the Camera Club of New York and
three years later traveled through Europe, making softly focused,
manipulated photographs in the popular pictorial style. In the fall of
1911 Strand established himself as a freelance commercial photographer
in New York and two years later began visiting the exhibitions of
modern art at Alfred Stieglitz's Photo-Secession galleries.

  Between 1914-17, stimulated by his contact with Stieglitz and
avant-garde American and European art, Strand abandoned pictorialism
for images that expressed an interest in formal concerns and the
dynamism of contemporary urban life. He experimented with abstraction
and movement and candid portraiture of people on the street. Excited by
Strand's innovative work, Stieglitz exhibited his pictures at "291" in
1916 and featured them in the final two issues of  Camera Work (October
1916; June 1917). In 1917 Strand expressed his belief in a pure
photographic aesthetic, stressing the objectivity of the medium and its
ability to produce "a range of almost infinite tonal values which lie
beyond the skill of the human hand."

  The following year Strand served as an x-ray technician in the Army
Medical Corps. After his year of service, he returned to New York and
in 1920 collaborated with painter/photographer Charles Sheeler on the
avant-garde film  Manhatta (originally titled New York the
Magnificent). Throughout the 1920s Strand made his living as a
filmmaker, only occasionally making photographs. He pursued both film
and creative photography in the 1930s and early 1940s; by 1945,
however, when his images were featured in a one-person exhibition at
the Museum of Modern Art, New York, still photography had once more
become his primary focus. After visiting France in 1950 he decided to
settle there, and over the following two decades traveled and
photographed in Europe and Africa.

  Strand's work has been widely exhibited. Retrospectives have been
mounted by the Museum of Modern Art, New York (1945), the Philadelphia
Museum of Art (1971, and tour), and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New
York (1973), and numerous traveling exhibitions have been organized,
including  Paul Strand: An American Vision by the National Gallery of
Art, Washington, D.C. (1990). He was named an Honorary Member of the
American Society of Magazine Photographers (1963) and a Fellow of the
American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1973). M.M.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com