Subject: [Leica] Upgrading the M6 Classic and Viewfinder
From: jdos2 at mindspring.com (Jeff Sumner)
Date: Tue Mar 1 12:37:09 2005

I'm glad you did what you had to do to make the camera useable for you.
I too had a terrible time with flare in the rangefinder, and it was
only solved by the newer finder in the MP (The M6 is gone).
I knew that there were some habits I had that made it worse, though- I
didn't use the camera as shown in the owner's manual. When holding it
in portrait, I would hold the shutter button end *down* (the owners
manual recommends one hold the camera against their head, shutter
button up) This forced the rangefinder window to see the sky, and there
was ALWAYS flare. I could move my head or eye a bit, but honestly, I
never got used to it, and traded the camera for one with a slightly
squinty, slightly dark finder (and autofocus [] )

My MP doesn't suffer like that. The WORST flare I ever see, the patch
is still visible, and I can see through the flare that I can still
focus. The camera isn't unusable in any orientation, or any light from
the side. Nice- I'm glad for it.

JD