Subject: [Leica] Vietnam photos
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Wed Mar 2 05:43:13 2005

Hi Phil,

My first reaction is that you were really, really close to
the people, something quite unusual unless you had
a Vietnamese wife or girl friend :-).   You were really
roaming the streets of Saigon.

The girl with the hat looks like she was on her first day back to
school, as the brifecase ("cartable") looks new.

Man on pedicab ("cyclo") looks like he was right in front of a
market; you can make out the sign of a sweet shop behind him,
as well as other street vendors squatting behind him.

In all likelihood, the man on back of bus worked for the bus
by hanging out the back and collecting fare, and loading any luggage
on top of the bus.   I think it is is a bundle of money in his hand;
you can also make out part of the luggage rack on top.  Sign on side
of bus says something about "building  democracy".  Were you on the
side of the bridge for this one ?

The photography is truly excellent; the B&W look gives the photos
a timelessness and I don't think they would evoke the same feelings
in me were they in color.  B&W makes it all seem like yesterday.

> It's been kind of trippy to watch the past unfold through
> these old images,

You said it !  That was my world.    Thanks for the memories.
Please post more.  Words cannot express my feeling.

- Phong
(In bed, sick like a dog)