Subject: [Leica] 50 'Crons: DR/Rigid vs.current formula
From: leirex at sbcglobal.net (David Lee)
Date: Wed Mar 2 16:55:27 2005

Hello,

  That's why many call it the "Leica Myth" which cannot be explained.  I
remember some years ago (or longer ago), one of the famous photog magazine
tested several normal lenses and published the Leica 50/2 Summicron DR as
the BEST normal lens of all times.  I tend to agree with that.

Best Regards,
David

Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net> wrote:
I hope the following is a practical rather than theological
question. Sitting around recovering from the flu while reading all this
"favorite lens" talk got me thinking.

Many years ago, I owned a Dual-Range 50 Summicron. Which I stupidly sold,
along with my first M2, in my post-college poverty.

I've been using a 1980s (fifth version) Summicron with focusing tab in the
last several years. As I understand it, this has the same optical formula
as the current 50 'Cron. It is my favorite lens most of the time.

Every so often I get exasperated with the tabbed "Cron, because it seems
like if there is a specular highlight in the outer 1/3 of the frame, there
will be a flare spot in the opposite corner. I don't recall the DR
Summicron doing this, although I do recall occasionally getting veiling
glare from contre-jour light. I use(d) the vented hood with either lens.

I don't have any direct comparisons between the lenses, but it seems to me
that the current formula 'Cron is better wide open for available light
shots--crisper. But for everything else, the DR has a lovely quality that
I can't quite describe. I can sense this quality both on Tri-X and
Kodachrome.

Can someone enlighten me? And if somebody has comparison pictures taken
with each lens that might show the difference, please post them.

I have a feeling that the difference may be somewhat analagous to the
reason why I couldn't bear to sell my pre-Asph 35 Summicron even after
buying the 35/1.4 Asph. I still use the older lens unless I know I'm going
to need f/2 and f/1.4.

--Peter