Subject: [Leica] Changing face of photoraphy
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Mar 4 21:49:40 2005

I am with B.D. on this one. I too am more than comfortable with my
2-year old computer with 1 GB RAM and a 2.4 Pentium. I have bought two
250 GB external hard drives for archiving purposes and will add to that
as needed, but otherwise I have not needed to upgrade my computer
equipment when I bought my Canon DSLR last summer. I already had the
printers, Photoshop etc., since I have been scanning film and printing
from PS since 1998. So the much talked about cost of computer upgrades
has been close to zero for me.

As far as the style of shooting--I will admit to taking somewhat more
pictures than with film, but not that much more, perhaps 50%. I
definitely do not shoot machine-gun style. I still try to compose each
image in the viewfinder, get the correct exposure etc. During a recent
trip to Madrid where I had 1.5 day of free time I shot about 200 images.
Had I been shooting film, I think that I would very likely have shot six
rolls as well.

What is new is the freedom to experiment a bit at zero cost. If I see an
image in front of me that seems a bit marginal (i.e. I think it might be
interesting but I am not sure) I shoot it, knowing that if it does not
work I will just delete it on the computer later (I do not use the LCD
screen of the camera for anything except a quick glance at the histogram
just after a picture is taken).

On another thread someone mentioned cost. I have a Canon 20D and 24mm,
17-40mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses for it plus a couple of Leica R to Canon
EOS adapters which let me use my Leica R lenses as well. The Canon
equipment was more than paid for by selling my M7 and a couple of little
used M lenses; I have kept my M6+35mm Summilux as well as the CL and its
40mm lens (and most of my Leica R lenses for use on the Canon, plus a
Leicaflex SL). The Canon lenses I have bought are all normal, "film"
lenses so that when I upgrade bodies in the future I will continue to be
able to use them, also if I go to a full-size sensor body. So the only
replaceable component in this outfit is the 20D body which I bought new
for $1500 last October. Even though my volumes do not approach Tina's, I
am sure that I have saved the price of the body in film and processing
during the 5 months I have had this camera.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands