Subject: [Leica] Jammed EI 6400
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Mar 6 02:04:04 2005

Well, I'll probably get lambasted for posting a Nikon digital image
instead of a Leica one, but to my defense, I have posted a Leica image or
two in the past.

This time I just didn't have time for processing, scanning, dust removal,
Photoshop work etc. I'm going away.

So I used digital. I still didn't want to use a flash so I set the
exposure index at what Nikon calls "HI-2". That's two stops less than ISO
1600, or in other words EI 6400. I've never even bothered to try film at
6400. It just won't cut it. Just too contrasty.

The first shot is color:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Louice-jam-sessions/DSC_0828

Now the green cast was there. Earlier I've mentioned a string of Christmas
tree lights ... this is it.

The second one is the same shot, but I converted to a gamma 2.2 grey
profile (went from sRGB -> 2.2 gamma grey profile). There are, I
understand, many more sophisticated ways of doing this, I don't know them.
But I can honestly admit that there are good reasons to do so. It more or
less confirms, even with an amateur attempt, that digital is better than
film in low-light. This coming from someone other than the usual group who
has always said this.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Louice-jam-sessions/DSC_0828g

I'll be using film as steadily as before, but if I ever really, really
need EI 6400, I know what I'll do.

I'm curious as to what others think.

Best,
Daniel