Subject: [Leica] Jammed EI 6400
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Mar 6 02:38:39 2005

Oh ... I favor b/w ... not problem there.

What I was impressed with is that the "noise" of digital at EI 6400 is
significantly less than the grain of film at 3200 (Delta from last week).
Delta does a much better job than TMZ of retaining some detail in the
shadows, but I think digital at EI 6400 runs circles around both of them.
Both with respect to tonal range and with respect to noise/grain.

I think I like the "feel" of film better, but as I pointed out in the
initial posting ... I'm new at this conversion from color to b/w. There
are probably those who could recreate that "feel".

But in the long run, it's not a question of film vs digital for me. It's a
question of quiet rangefinder vs slr. The Nikon is pretty quiet, but I had
a real chore getting it to focus. There wasn't alway enough light for the
autofocus to work and I missed some real beauties. Stupid me ... why
didn't I go over to manual focusing too. I was already using manual
metering.

Daniel