Subject: [Leica] Jammed EI 6400
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Mar 7 00:31:57 2005

John, I like your latest. Very nice. Have you ever tried Ilford Delta
3200? It can get you awful far. And until we learn all the routines for
getting good b/w out of color, it's going to be hard to reach the mood
that a good b/w film can produce.

You asked what camera I used: it was a Nikon D100. From what I understand
the Nikon D70 doesn't have HI-1 (3200) and HI-2 (6400) or maybe it's only
HI-2 that has been dropped. It really doesn't matter. I think the reason
they don't call it ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 is that they are simply
underexposing one and two stops with the iso set at 1600 and then pulling
things back up in software. So you could use a camera that goes up to iso
1600 and then set the exposure manually to underexpose by one or two stops
and do the same software work (raising the image up again) in Photoshop.
The result might even be better. Photoshop offers more alternatives
(curves, levels, brightness, contrast) that you can play with individually
instead of relying on a canned routine in the camera.

I see your shot is with Neopan 1600 ... another nice film. But Delta 3200
is a little faster and might give you a tad more detail and less contrast.
I develop it in Ilford's DD-X. I tried in Xtol a couple of years ago (in
medium format) but it just didn't work out very well. I developed a little
longer than what Ilford recommends (about a minute if I remember
correctly). For Delta 3200 I find Ilford's recommended times a little on
the short side. I hardly ever deviate much from recommendations, but in
this case I do.

Once again, I like your shot! More music! :-)

Best,
Daniel