Subject: [Leica] Three Recent Shots
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Mar 7 10:53:06 2005

They are indeed!
The UK has a much better relationship to her Industrial Heritage than most
other
countries, although the museums in Munich and Berlin are excellent York is
in a
class of its own.
Thanks are due to Martyn Hamlyn and his colleagues  - they do a wonderful
job in
York, which is BTW one of the most historical cities imaginable.
Quite a few of the exhibits are "on-tour" most of the year, for example the
Flying Scotsman. Which, of course, went and developed a crack in the fire-box
when I went to see her at Scarborough last year and was replaced by a
Stannier
"Black 5", which are more or less 2 a penny, for the trip I was booked on.

They are also, I believe, the only museum outside Japan which has a Tokyo
Bullet
on display. The US steam loco shown on the picture is one of two residing in
the
County of Yorkshire, the other is a Transportation Corps machine, at present
living on the sidings at Grosmont on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, the
loco
was running a couple of years ago but is now awaiting repair and a new
boiler
certificate (without which they are not allowed to run)as are about another
6
steam locomotives.Not quite my C of T but three or four diesel electrics are
also waiting to be refurbished there.
Douglas
PS the NYMR is well known from the Harry Potter films, Hogwarts station is
at
Goathland.