Subject: [Leica] Ansel
From: brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly)
Date: Mon Mar 7 17:52:03 2005

On 7 Mar 2005, at 6:45 PM, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:

> Then again, I've seen Gene Smith printing.
> It came no where near what the boys in the LIFE lab could do with his
> negs.

i remember one of my early photography teachers making the comment that
smith was a notoriously sloppy printer, so i've always thought of him
that way.  i know his work best through books, though, and am not sure
i have even seen a print.  i tend to think of folks like smith as
"photojournalists" and folks like avedon, adams, weston as "fine
artists."  this is not to make any sort of value judgement at all; just
to say that their purposes and intentions were different.  this is by
all means an artificial distinction, and there is nothing at all wrong
with comparing them or arguing that the aesthetic conventions of one
"type" shouldn't or couldn't properly be used by the other.

saying smith's printing is bad is not the same as saying his pictures
are bad.

gary winogrand, as i understand, wasn't very impressive in the darkroom
and generally didn't give a damn about technical aspects.

> Probably the best printing I've seen to date, has been done by the
> individuals did the work of Penn and Avedon.

avedon was a notorious perfectionist, and his proofs are painstaking; i
doubt i would be able to figure out the proper order in which to make
all his dodges and burns and still end up with the right exposure, let
alone have the mechanical skills to do it.  he arguably did the same
photograph of himself over and over his entire career, which i guess is
more monomania than perfectionism.

--
brad daly
brad@bradbrad.com

"People say 'Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world.' Yeah,
maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a
REAL big drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the
world, and they've already got all our airports."
        --Bill Hicks

Replies: Reply from creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring) ([Leica] Ansel)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Ansel)
Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Ansel)