Subject: [Leica] Re: Matt Cutters
From: jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB)
Date: Thu Mar 10 11:29:31 2005

I, my daughter, and my daughter-in-law, use my Logan Model 750 Simplex Plus
matt cutter. It is a dream to use, simple to set-up, and makes cutting
single, double, and triple matts a very simple and effortless task. And,
I've watched my daughter cut matts for 12x24" frames where she puts two or
three photographs in the space. One matt, multiple openings cut, and she
does it in what seems like seconds.

Years ago, I, and my colleagues, used that little free-hand Dexter cutter
but found it to be quite error prone. What I mean is - it was always user
error, but the Logan 750 has basically eliminated all wasted matt board. No
more bad cuts.

Everything I have done, starting in 1969, had been, and is, dry mounted.
B&W and type C on mount board, cooled and flattened under a steel plate
weight, single, double, or triple matted and framed under glass. Anything
not going to be framed under glass, and ALL Cibachrome, is dry mounted on
1/2" foam board. A v-e-r-y thin black frame is put around it more to
protect the foam core edges than any other reason.

The reason all Cibachrome prints are mounted on Foam board (or Gatorfoam)
is that the Foam board mounting surface is dead smooth. Since the Ciba that
I print on has a super gloss surface, it shows every nuance of the mount
board surface when dry mounted. So the super smooth Foam board is ideal.

http://tinyurl.com/3t55y

JB

Message from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Matt Cutters)