Subject: [Leica] Re: Future of film? Good news and realistic news...
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Thu Mar 10 17:18:45 2005

Published perhaps after he died, the book is on a CD and available at:
www.monochromephotography.com

Here is the depressing (for wet fans) introduction:

"You can't make a fine print from a coarse negative". That has been the
critical point I have made for many many years working in conventional
silver-based `wet' darkroom monochrome photographic work. Too many
photographers believe that the fine print is manufactured by uniquely
gifted printers in the darkroom using almost black arts.

  This belief, comforting to the those photographers unwilling to take
the time and trouble to understand and apply the craft of their
pursuit, is encouraged by the very printers claiming the mystique of
the secrets of the darkroom. It supports their ego and their earnings.
The truth is that if a negative is properly exposed and processed, it
is difficult not to make a high quality print. What so often passes as
`fine printing' is, in truth, often nothing but exercising considerable
time and effort in rescuing an adequate print from a bad negative. The
whole process would have been far quicker, far simpler, and far more
productive of high quality had there been a good negative in the first
place. Prevention is better than cure! Sometimes, a real cure isn't
possible.

  I found out this hard truth over decades of my own work, and printing
professionally for others. The truth was so hard won, that it became a
rigid unshakeable principle of my work, my teaching, and my writing. It
was the very foundation of my beliefs. Well, the foundation just
cracked.

  The first hairline crack started appearing with digital contact
negatives (see my web site www.barrythornton.com, or my articles in Ag
magazine for details) after I had read about Dan Burkolder's work in
this field in the USA. Briefly, I discovered that I could scan a
monochrome negative on a low-priced flatbed scanner with a transparency
scanning accessory hood, adjust the image as required for final
appearance in Photoshop, output it in negative form on transparent or
translucent film at the final print size on a home desk-top inkjet
printer, then contact print that inkjet negative on conventionally
processed photographic printing paper. The resulting print was
significantly better than even the best photographic fine print made
directly from the original negative. The real shaker was that I was
able to make fine prints by this technique from inferior, even
downright coarse, original photographic negatives. I spent some time
developing this technique even further and refining it before a chance
meeting with Adrian Joyner of Clevedon alerted me to the process that
shattered my rigid `fine negative' foundation - Piezography. I saw his
prints at the Arena gathering of photographers.

  He showed me prints made by this archival process on home inkjet
printers that were clearly superior to conventional photographic fine
prints, that rendered the fuss of preparing and printing a digital
contact negative then using that to make a photographic print
completely redundant.