Subject: [Leica] RD-1 users: Light loss with fast lenses?
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Fri Mar 11 21:46:09 2005

On Mar 11, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Peter Klein wrote:

> None of this prevents using fast film lenses, but you have to do some
> tests to know how your own equipment works.  Squirrely stuff happens
> at the extreme ends of that aperture dial.  My 50/1.4 OM lens takes
> great pictures at f/2, but there's not so much point in opening it to
> f/1.4 as there would be with film.  I hope a Summilux won't suffer the
> same fate on a digital RF.

Peter,

I haven't _noticed_ any light falloff on the corners of photos taken on
a borrowed R-D1 using my Summilux 50mm at 1.4, which is not to say none
exists. The signature look of the lens is still easily seen on the
Epson. And I do see, at least so far, one stop difference in exposure
time between f2 and f1.4. And all of the "snapshot" exposures - nice
landscapes and the like - I've taken thus far have been spot on, though
the meter's limitations must be taken into consideration with backlit
exposures, just like the M6.

All in all a very nice camera, and for half the price I'd own one
myself. It was purchased two weeks ago from BH, and has a serial number
less than 2000.

Will von Dauster
Boulder, Colorado