Subject: [Leica] Re: almost got arrested/mass transit photos
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Sun Mar 13 07:13:55 2005

ted's answer is blunt, and while it's not the greatest image from mass
transit i've evern seen, it's far from the worst also --

i think the rules against photography on trains are silly -- what are we
afraid of, that a terrorist will take a picture and use it to plan a job?
silly --
if they want to do that they'll use their camera phone and pretend to be
talking to aunt martha -- it';s a silly bureaucratic power play, nothing
more.
This was a problem long before 911-- people think you are invading someone's
privacy if you take pictures and they get all officious, the lower the rank,
the
more they do. Note the reactions of the conductor and the supervisor -- I
suspect the supervisor didn't care but felt he had to back up his employee.

if you want to shoot pictures on subways, hone your sneaky skills -- learn
shoot without raising the camera to your eye, i shot great stuff in the NYC
subways years ago while holding a CL in my lap, f2 and pre-focused. Nobody
knows what you are up to. the shutter is quiet, motion is neglegable. Or
wear it
under a jacket with the lens poking through.

The act of holding something to your face is what tips bureaucratic
busybodies and everyone else off that photography is taking place. I've
found this to
be true even when using a Minox, which is why I bought a reflex finder for
mine.

 If you REALLY want to be sneaky, get a Rolleiflex -- big clunky thing but
nobody today knows that it's a camera or if they do, they don't know when
you
click the shutter. It's just a complicated box hanging from your neck and
you
steady it with your hand against the train's motion from time to time.
Nothing
more natural.

for most purposes a Leica M with a wide angle lens will do nicely -- even
carry it hanging off your side with a cable release running up your sleeve
if you
have to. For God Sake, Erich Solomon was sneaking pictures of world leaders
in post-world war I peace conferences   by using these techniques, and he
had
military guards looking for him and had to use glass plates!

c trentelman

Replies: Reply from surrealistic at cox.net (Curtis Fant) ([Leica] Re: almost got arrested/mass transit photos)