Subject: [Leica] Re: Advice needed on 35mm lens for Leica M
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin Yastrzebski)
Date: Sun Mar 13 16:36:15 2005

On March 8, 2005 I posted a request to the List
for advice about which 35mm lens I might choose
to replace my Summicron, recently "lost" to a
friend in exchange for some $$.  I just wanted to
say "Thank You" to everyone who replied.

Since I posted the request I have had the chance
to shoot some film with the Summicron (last
pre-ASPH version) and the Summilux (last pre-ASPH
version and second, current ASPH version).  I now
 know that, in this focal length, the ASPH lenses
are not for me.

To those of you who value sharpness above most
other things, the ASPH lenses will be just fine.
But above all else, I use Leica because I want
the Leica "look" - the glow, the bokeh, the
micro-contrast - and in this focal length, only
the pre-ASPH Summicron does it for me.

So that's the one I will buy, just as soon as I
have finished paying for the 24mm Elmarit ASPH I
just bought ... and until then I will use and
enjoy my 40mm Summicron-C - as several people
said, it is a delightful lens.  Pity about the
framelines, but I do have a CLE body I can use

I would probably have made the same pre-ASPH
decision if I hadn't asked for advice, but I feel
much happier about it now, and the tests
confirmed that the advice I was given here was
very sound indeed.

So THANK YOU!

CJ