Subject: [Leica] In the hands of its engineers, not bean counters
From: Grduprey at aol.com (Grduprey@aol.com)
Date: Sun Mar 13 22:33:59 2005

In a message dated 3/13/2005 11:33:23 AM Central Standard Time,
Afterswift@aol.com writes:
I don't think Leica makes any of their reflex
lenses. Maybe one or two.

Bob

Sorry but they make almost all of them in house, and only out source a few.
Even the 24mm is made by them these days, even though it is a Minolta design
originally.  The only zoom I know of currently made is outsourced, the 28 -
70
Vario Elmar (by Sigma).  The rest are all Solms designs and made in house
from
what I have read.  There are a few WA's that are outsourced to Zeiss and
Schneider.  I know the TS WA is, I beleive a Zeiss lens.  I'm pretty sure
all of
the Normal through the Modular Tele lines are Leica designs and made in
house.

Many people dump on the R line of cameras and lenses, most have never tried
them.  A real shame as the cameras and lenses are all first rate and deserve
better support by the Leica user community.  Yes some of the early
Electronic
models had a few bugs, but once they were sorted out the cameras were very
good.  I have and use regularly a SL, R4SP, and a R8, and about 6 lenses,
including the 28 - 70 Vario Elmar.  I'll keep them all.  On the other hand,
since
they are dumped on so much, the lenses are a Fantastic bargan on the used
market.
So I guess that is one good thing for us believers/users of the R line.

Gene

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] In the hands of its engineers, not bean counters)