Subject: [Leica] synecdoche and how photographers practice poetry
From: brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly)
Date: Tue Mar 15 21:50:59 2005

FWIW, that's actually probably neo-greek from the 18th or 19th century,
when the englightenmenters decided to label everything with brand new
agglomerations of greek and latin words.

sort of like the way in which we use "gate."  we all know what a "gate"
is; we probably walk through several every day.  but as a suffix, since
the early 1970s, it means "scandal," etc.  that word has always been
around, but it wasn't always part of the construction in which it is
now used.

i could be wrong, of course.

--brad, english major, lover of words

--