Subject: [Leica] Walks : Furtho Northamptonshire (OT)
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Wed Mar 16 16:22:34 2005

From: "Matt Morgan" <mattmorgan1@mac.com>

Subject: Re: [Leica] Walks : Furtho Northamptonshire (OT)

> Graham,
>
> Obviously a Norman church, do you know what year it was built? Can
> almost sense the weight of centuries of history inside - although the
> 1970s plastic chair seems a bit incongruous!
>
> I'd like to have seen more isolated close-up detail in the stone work
> and pews etc, but I love seeing these images which project
> quintessential England.
>
> Matt.
>
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/Walks/Furtho/index.htm

----
Hi Matt,

I should have done a more thorough job but I never think of putting
something like that together until after the event when I am checking the
negatives. Next time :-) I did try to get more info for the text, without
luck, but someone responded with the following which goes back to the year
1086. Thanks for looking.

--Graham

Thanks to Piers Hemy for the following:

I didn't know of Furtho, so had a look to see what I could find.  You thank
English Heritage for the repairs
to the church - but it looks like the credit is due to others, with a
fascinating bit of history attached.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22783 provides a detailed
history of Furtho from 1086 onwards, and mentions that "the trustees
appointed by Edmund Arnold's will took over the Furtho estate ... in January
1692".  The same Edmund Arnold's Charity evidently still owns Furtho more
than 300 years later!

Further "in 1972 the Friends of Friendless Churches, in collaboration with
[Edmund Arnold's Charity], restored the church and improved public access to
the site. Restoration was completed in 1975 and the first public services
for over forty years held in 1977. The setting of the church was improved as
part of a wider landscaping scheme involving the dovecote and farm
buildings, carried out by the Arnold trustees in the late 1990s. "

I didn't expect a fraction of what I found - and what I did find truly put
'history' in perspective.

Message from mattmorgan1 at mac.com (Matt Morgan) ([Leica] Walks : Furtho Northamptonshire (OT))