Subject: [Leica] 5 year old's first camera??
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Mar 16 16:59:26 2005

This may sound a bit bizarre - but in addition to getting something
super simple and inexpensive, I would Super Glue the various controls so
that it will always be on program autoexposure, autofill flash, etc.
etc., limiting his options to next to nothing. In other words, create a
digital Brownie for him. Set things up in such a way that he simply
can't go wrong - and let him concentrate on SEEING things. Let him learn
about filling the frame. Let him realize that a cow 100 yards away from
the speeding car does not make an interesting photo. Let him realize you
can take only so many pictures of your friends sticking their fingers up
their noses before it ceases to be amusing. And then, if he's still
intriqued with photography, move him up slightly and let him start
learning how to make technical mistakes.

 B. D.