Subject: [Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Mar 19 11:43:30 2005

We have a saying: talent stays afloat.
So if somebody has "it" in him/her, one day or another it will emerge.
I don't think you need a degree for that: I did 4 years of art school and
the only thing I retained from it was that it was 4 years of experimenting
and "lab"time. Not because of the teachers but because I tried to do lots of
different things myself. So it was more about selfteaching.
The real school began on my first job, and I haven't stopped learning since
then.
So I'm not really an advocate of the degree stuff. If people stop by at our
(ad) agency to show their work, we don't ask what school they went to, or
what degree they have. We just ask them to show their work. That, and what
they have to say about it, says it all.
As others have already said and IMO, there's more wisdom in a few well
chosen workshops given by real and enthousiastic pros.
Now, about building a 2nd career at some point in your life where everything
has settled (wife, kids, home, mortgage, ...), as opposed to beign young and
being able to risk it all:
Take small steps and don't compromise.
1) small steps = start with small (local) exhibitions, little magazines,
etc. Once that works, go a bit higher. Move on and be patient. Because
talent stays afloat.
2) Don't compromise: it would be a pity to, once you go for your dream,
you'd start to compromise. Because after a while, you'd start asking
yourself why you took that route after all. And there's nothing more
frustrating than realising that you chased a dream instead of realising one.
Finally, about the wife and kids: always cherish your homebase. But make
them understand that a happy man is a zillion times better for them than a
disappointed one.

Good luck,
Philippe