Subject: [Leica] Re: More on Pushing C-41 films
From: jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB)
Date: Sat Mar 19 16:05:42 2005

At 01:43 PM 3/19/2005, Didier Ludwig wrote:

>As I wrote in another post, my pushed C41 rolls were sent to a pro lab
>where they have the opportunity to vary the developping time (or
>concentration, or temperature or whatever, I don't know). But the results
>were soso-lala...
>Didier

Pushing film speed is done by increasing the development time 30% for one
stop. B&W film responds very well as B&W developer is what develops the
latent image. E6 developing responds very well to pushing because E6 first
developer is a B&W developer doing nothing more than developing the latent
B&W image. The five steps following the first developer are typically left
alone unless some wild effects are wanted.

Color neg film has only one developer, a B&W/color developer combination
followed, typically, by only one step, a bleach/fix combo. C41 is extremely
easy to process. It's easier than B&W. But because of the way the developer
and film are constructed, pushing is very iffy. I have pushed it very
successfully, but more than one stop is not good. I sometimes extend the
development step by 15% (1/2 stop) to help build up some contrast in flat
situations. In these situations, I expose at the factory ISO. With normal
contrast subject matter, I always give a half stop more exposure than the
ISO speed rating.

MHO,

JB

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Re: More on Pushing C-41 films)