Subject: [Leica] Digital cameras with large aperture lenses
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Mar 20 05:56:09 2005

Simon,
For typical camera CCD's the active site is recessed in a well
frequently covered by a microlens.  If the light bundle strikes the lens
at some suboptimal angle, that light energy will not reach the sensor
resulting in loss of information.  This can result in color fringing
and/or loss of speed.

As Henning demonstrated in his vignetting studies, lens design matters.
I recall Erwin commenting that Leica designers tend to be more gentle
with the light rays than other designers; I would have a discussion with
him regarding just what that means.  Specifically, talk about the
Noctilux design and the ray tracing coming off the rear element.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com