Subject: [Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Sun Mar 20 18:23:17 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:08:30 -0500, B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Thanks for the plug...
> http://www.theworkshops.com/catalog/courses/index.asp?CourseID=2671&Scho
> olID=20
>
> One warning though - I will be asking everyone to read Sontag's "On
> Photography" before the workshop - But I will also be asking them to
> read "Doing Documentary Work," by Robert Coles, with which, I'll guess,
> Dave is familiar. ;-)

Indeed I am - actually, I was required to read both books in one
course - It would be really interesting to see how adifferent course
would be taught with the same reading requirements :)

Actually, for me, the two best things about attending courses at the
CDS was 1) the time taken in all the photo courses invoving peer
criticism and 2) sitting in their small, but well stocked, library
looking through some of the best documentary photographers ever.

If you can't afford school (or don't want to afford it) I can't
recommend strongly enough sitting in a library looking through
documentary photography books and then going out and planning and
shooting a project of your own feeding off of the inspiration you have
just built up. Doing that did more for my photography than anything
else - it gave me more purpose which happened to be my problem.

Cheers,

Dave

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree)
Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree)