Subject: [Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Sat Mar 19 06:48:15 2005

I think the main problem with getting a degree late in life is simply
not having the will to move to where the best degree is available. I
think education at *any* level should be shopped for because there are
some turds out there with a high-gloss buff on them. I was lucky
enough to have Duke's Center for Documentary Studies in my backyard
and found it to be quite good most of the time. However, its not a
degreed program even - its mostly a place where one receives a framed
receipt. Their emphasis was on the documentary process too - at the
time not one class on how to shoot or even how to shoot better but I
can tell you that it helped my photography out in very major ways.

While I was there I heard excellent things about the Maine
Photographic Workshops too, though I have not been myself. Its another
way to go in this sort of thing too - the summer classes in beautiful
locations that don't suffer from heat that makes you stick to your
camera leather. I know B.D. teaches a course up there and can give a
unique perspective on it - but it seems to me that if you like
learning, classes, and photography you can do worse than making a
vacation out of it. I figure I will go there at some point when money,
time, and life all line up.

Cheers,

Dave

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree)