Subject: [Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Mon Mar 21 08:14:08 2005

Its interesting to me that you decided to use video to show those
photos. It certainly helped make the point about your impressions of
the types of people there. Very nice photos indeed - some of those low
shots of the people with large costumes on are great.

impressions in Chicago were the same as yours were a year ago in SF. I
went to the outer edges of the rally to get the portraits of the
people in the series I shared. There were a good number of young
people yelling stupid things to the police and there was a large
number of people trying to get the communists to leave - all this
while people were speaking on stage. The people I tried to shoot were
mostly those who aren't "Professional protestors", if you catch my
meaning, but they had been pushed out to the edges unfortunately. Some
seemed very uncomfortable by the way the police had surrounded the
plaza, I told one elderly woman that the police officers were very
nice and just doing their hob, if she wanted to leave all she had to
do was ask to cross and they would certainly allow her to. She did,
and of course the officers allowed her to leave.

Overall though I saw a very fractured demonstration.

Message from wayneserrano at earthlink.net (Wayne Serrano) ([Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05)