Subject: [Leica] 75mm F/2 M lens? New vs. used
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Mar 22 06:08:04 2005

I believe that there is a reason to buy new.... sometimes.

If you are going on a photo expedition where the likelihood of damage to the
equipment is great, then buy new, get the Passport warranty, and sleep well
knowing that when that accident does occur, your repair cost will be nil.

The other circumstance is for a Pro.  Buy new, you can not afford to have
problems, and you get a tax right off and get to sell the stuff, fully made
to look like new form Leica at no cost ( Passport Warranty).  That new look
equates to a higher resale.  Swap bodies every 3-5 years and the new is
basically free compared to the ownership cost of a beat up pro body being
sold used on the market with all its dings etc.  I believe there is one
member of our community who has been doing this for years.

The third one is on bodies.  Especially electronic bodies.  The cost of a
CLA offsets the cost of a new ( passport warranty for 5 years =$0) vs. Demo
model.   I will not even mention what $$$ happens when your electronic body
goes dead, and Leica needs to put in a new shutter or something because of
an old but hidden factory problem.  In this case, the tradeoff is a bad one
IMHO.

Last, there is a reason to buy new....  You have the money and you want it.
How else could us bottom feeders get almost new equipment at a bargain
price, after you get tired of it?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net