Subject: [Leica] Seeking a new 50
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Mar 25 10:04:41 2005

> I'd much rather be out blowing away film or digi cards shooting, than
> searching somewhat endlessly for a lens and trying a zillion 50's
> looking for one that has just the precise amount of squiggles per mm
> of sharpness. The searcher may find his or her ultimate 50mm lens,
> however will their pictures be far more exciting filled with captured
> moments?
>
> Will your ultimate 50mm add to your ability to "SEE A MOMENT" and
> capture it better? :-)

I can empathize with the search for the ultimate 50mm lens.  In my case it
was the ultimate 300mm (-ish) lens.  At last count I've tried 9 lenses from
250mm to 300mm and it's not all about squiggles per mm.  Turns out my
ultimate 300mm lens is the one I busted and sent to the shop for repair :-(

Stuff I looked for included affordability, portability, flare resistance,
color quality, bokeh, handling and squiggles per mm.  My ultimate lens fails
on only one count (guess which), and that will eventually be forgotten :-)

And, yes my ultimate 300mm lens will help me capture the moment better.  Not
see it better, but it will help in the capture part of the process.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com