Subject: [Leica] Re:OT: external hard disk size
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue Mar 29 01:12:05 2005

>I disagree. Mission critical servers use RAID arrays of multiple
>disks. And size does matter. A bigger disk has different sector
>geometry, higher recording densities, and is more vulnerable to
>imperfections and dust.

There are some nice consumer RAIDs that are coming out. I might buy
this after I return to the United States:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618710-1.html

The Buffalo Terastation does Raid 5 with its four internal 250
gigabyte drives (750 megabytes total  in RAID 5 mode)  and will
automatically fix itself if one of the drives dies. The one question
I have is whether the drives are consumer replaceable -- once 500
gigabyte drives are available, can I buy four of them and get my own
1.5 terabyte RAID5 cluster.

Can anyone explain why backup technologies are always one step behind
HD technology?  Just when I thought  DVD-Rs would be perfect for
backups, 300 gigabyte drives come out (70 DVD-Rs to backup).

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/

--

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) ([Leica] Re:OT: external hard disk size)