Subject: [Leica] APO SUMMICRON 75
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 1 15:01:47 2005

On 4/1/05 12:08 PM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> typed:

> APO or ASPH...... What difference does it make?  It is a new design, and
> the
> words "APO" and "ASPH" are only relevant to marketing and manufacturing.
> They connote a lot, but they mean nothing.  Performance counts, the rest is
> marketing nonsense.....( boy, am I going to hear about that last
> comment...)
>
> Remember... it is the same price as the 75/1.4 new, twice the price of a
> used 75/1.4, it is a bit lighter  ( I remember 100g but don't trust me);
> and
> it will be clinically sharp.  It will not have the Bokeh of the 75/1.4  It
> is apparently a bit shorter ( check again....) and a bit less in diameter
> ( F1.4 vs. F2, it SHOULD be smaller).
>
> If you want clinically accurate photography, get it.  If you want a "look"
> get a 75/1.4.  If you have a 75/1.4, why would anyone want a slower lens,
> other than the 100g and the smaller diameter?
>
> And the faster shutter speed is "free" on the 75/1.4, if you use it wide
> open.
>
> Frank Filippone, who favors the faster 75, both for "the Look" and .the
> speed and the price (used).
> red735i@earthlink.net

Size and balance are also big criteria for thinking about the new one over
the old one Frank!
And the idea and result of shooting with the latest of Leica optics vs. an
optic which although not having what you'd call an "old fashioned" look
"with extra heapings of Leica glow" but something with some of that
resonance.
Heck when it first came out it said "Leitz" on it.

The current 75 1.4 is a bit of a monster.
It would not go over well to redesign it with Aspherics making it more
compact and correcting whatever "issues" it might actually have as its
accused of having one or two.
So another type of 75 is in order. A non high-speed type.
But in this case not low speed either.

I love low speed lenses though.
Not so much with SLR's as they make it hard to focus and see.
But a Leica rangefinder why not? You're not LOOKING through the darned
thing.

A smaller glass to air surface is very Leica like to me.
Low key.
Small, light and cheap.

The lens I've been shooting with lately is the
Cosina Voigtl?nder 25mm f 4 Snapshot Skopar Lens.
F 4 and be there!

Love those focusing click stops!

Mark Rabiner
Photography