Subject: [Leica] FWI: Vermeer, light, and the camera
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 1 15:20:09 2005

On 3/30/05 8:46 PM, "Kenneth Frazier" <kennybod@mac.com> typed:

> I just mentioned, in my reply to Ted, that I had not forgotten Vermeer,
> a reference to a comment by Ted made some time ago.
>
> That triggered my curiosity and I checked out the extensive Vermeer
> website:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5sm97
>
> On this page of the website, in the pop-ups, it is mentioned that some
> scholars have speculated that Vermeer used a "camera obscura" in
> creating the painting of the "Girl with a Pearl Earring," which is a
> classic "statement" of shooting from the shadow side.
>
> Nothing new under the sun!!!
>
> Ken

It looks like it was shot with a Zeiss Softar.

I went though several years of art history and the whole smear and Vermeer
was "the guy who used that Camera Obscura" thingie. A cheater.
Turns out he was not the only one in New York doing so.
You just hear about him the most.
No one caught all the other guys.
IT was a popular tool with lots of artists.
As was the Etch a Sketch.
And it's now known lots of those guys painted by numbers that their wives
would put in. The kids did the highlights. Grandma did the shadows.

One of the many urban rumors about Vermeer and the girl is that she actually
helped him make key decisions as to the composition of some of his more
complex images.
So you could call HER "THE GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRINGS OBSCURA"
A great name for a character in history in which we know NOT ONE THING
ABOUT.
Hense the great novel. Then movie.

Her correcting one of his more complex compositions was shown in the film in
a great scene.
Oh and she mixed up his paint.
And took dictation. And answered his emails.

The scene in the film with the Camera Obscura was brief and that's the only
time you see it.
Naturally they both climb behind the bellows cloth and almost smooch.
Not too predictable.

Perhaps they writer felt the whole Camera Obscura angle had been blown out
of proportion! :)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon